In this article, We covered advantages of overhead transmission line and disadvantages of overhead transmission line, advantages of underground transmission line, disadvantages of underground transmission line.
What is Overhead transmission line?
The overhead power line (also known as overhead transmission line or OHTL) is the type of transmission line through which the electrical energy is transmitted and distributed for long distances. The range of the voltages in the overhead power line is of different values. When an electric current flows in the line. It produces a magnetic and electric field.
Power is transmitted through this type of line because it is one of the least costly methods for power transmission. The construction is very simple. depending upon the phase system, It consists of multiple not insulated conductors suspended by poles or towers. To know more about it we have to discuss some related terminologies.
What is Underground transmission line?
Underground transmission lines are electrical or telecommunications cables that are installed below the ground (3-5 feet). Large natural gas pipelines are also called transmission lines, but the term underground transmission lines is normally used to distinguish underground from overhead cabling
What is Advantages or benifits of overhead transmission line?
Following are the Advantages or benefits of overhead transmission line –
- It is easy to repair and maintain.
- They can be easily installed over river or motorway or hilly regions.
- Lower installation costs.
- High Power transmission.
- The fault or damage in overhead lines can easily locate.
- long distance transmission.
What is Disadvantages of overhead transmission line?
Following are the Disadvantages of overhead transmission line –
- As it is exposed to the surroundings the safety risk is high.
- A continuous pathway for the line creates obstructions.
- These lines visually pollute the areas where they are installed.
What is Advantages or benifits of Underground transmission line?
Following are the advantages or benefits of overhead transmission line –
- They have reduced visual impact due to being below the ground
- These lines have reduced EMFs (Electric and Magnetic Fields) and hence eliminates potential health issues.
- Safer from lightning.
- It creates no obstructions.
- It has lesser transmission losses.
What is Disadvantages of Underground transmission line?
Following are the Disadvantages of Underground transmission line –
- It is difficult to find and repair the wire breaks in case of failure of system.
- It is difficult to maintain underground system compare to overhead due to underground cabling.
- Underground cables are subjected to damage due to ground movement due to earthquake.
- High voltage transmission is difficult in underground transmission.
- Limited by thermal capacity.